The Federal Government says three months after the U.S. and the UK embassies issued frivolous travel advisories warning their citizens to avoid Abuja the city has remained safe.
The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed stated this on Monday in Abuja at the 25th edition of the President Muhammadu Buhari’s (PMB) Scorecard Series.
The two countries had warned their citizens to avoid the Nigerian capital due to risk of terrorist attacks.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the edition featured the Minister of Defence, Bashir Magashi, who presented the scorecard of his ministry.
In his opening remarks, Mr Mohammed recalled that the advisories issued by the U.S. and UK created much panic and tension the country and a number of Americans reportedly fled Abuja in the wake of the warning.
The minister noted that since the advisories were issued residents of Abuja had been going about their businesses without any threat.
He commended the country’s security agencies for their sacrifices to keep the country safe.
“We want to commend our gallant troops, the police, the intelligence agencies and all other security agencies for their commitment and sacrifice to keep our country safe.
“We also call on Nigerians to continue to support the security agencies as they carry out their onerous task,” he said.
Mr Mohammed re-echoed President Buhari’s call on Western countries to stop issuing frivolous travel advisories on Nigeria.