Monday, December 4, 2023
HomeNewsAngry Youths Sets Police Headquarters Ablaze Over Killing Of Catholic Priest

Angry Youths Sets Police Headquarters Ablaze Over Killing Of Catholic Priest

Angry youths have set ablaze the divisional police headquarters in Kafin-Koro, Paikoro local government area of Niger State, over the killing of a Catholic priest, Isaac Achi.

The deceased who until his death was the priest of St. Peters and Paul Catholic Church, was burned alive by suspected bandits in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Confirming the incident, the police public relations officer in the state, Wasiu Abiodun, said the youths invaded the station at about 9a.m on Tuesday.

In a statement, Mr Abiodun, said: “On 17/01/2023 at about 0900 hours, some angry youths of Kafin-Koro district, Paikoro Local Government Area mobilized and protested in Kafin-Koro town over the killing of the parish priest, Rev. Fr. Isaac.

“During the protest, the rampaging youths attacked and set Kaffin-Koro Divisional Headquarters ablaze”.

He said the value of items damaged and burnt are yet to be ascertained.

He, however, said reinforcement teams led by the Deputy Commissioner of Police, Operations, has been dispatched to the scene and normalcy has been restored.

Recall that a resident of Kafin-Koro who spoke to our correspondent on the condition of anonymity said church members had converged to hold a procession in honour of the late priest when the police team arrived at the venue with the intention to provide security cover.

But the church members reportedly told the police officers that they don’t need their presence since they couldn’t rescue the priest when he made a distress call before he was killed by the assailants.

It was gathered that the disagreement led to a fracas between the church members and the police.

“The church members came out as early as 8 a.m. to hold a procession in honour of the late priest. Before they commenced the police came around and said they would be providing security for the procession.

“But the people resisted. They said when the pastor was dying he called them but they didn’t respond until he was killed. So they don’t need their presence.

“In the process, a fracas ensued, and the police began to fire shots, which led to the death of one person,” the source said.

The source disclosed that the street of Kafin Koro has been deserted for fear of arrest by police, adding that over 10 youths have been arrested.




Recent Comments